For the fifth successive year the Eclipse Foundation’s IoT Working Group conducted a survey of IoT developers with the collaboration of key IoT ecosystem players like Bosch and Red Hat.
Over 1700 developers participated more than three times as many as last year. The top three industry focus areas remain the same as last year: IoT Platforms, Home Automation, and Industrial Automation.
The key findings this year include the following:
- IoT drives real-world, commercial outcomes today. 65% of respondents are currently working on IoT projects professionally or will be in the next 18 months.
- AWS, Azure, and GCP are the leading IoT cloud platforms
- Top three industry focus areas remain the same as last year: IoT Platforms, Home Automation, and Industrial Automation / IIoT.
- MQTT remains the dominant IoT communication protocol leveraged by developers
- The Eclipse Desktop IDE is the leading IDE for building IoT applications
See Eclipse IoT Developer Survey 2019 for more insights.